Skip to content

Small Group Lunch with Joel Simkhai, Founder of Grindr, Dec 12th

Event Details

Date/Time:
Thu, December 12, 2019
12:00PM - 02:00PM
Venue:
Yi by Jereme Leung Chinese Restaurant, Raffles Hotel Singapore
Location:
Level 3, Raffles Arcade, Singapore, Singapore 189673
Map address
Registration Period:
11/27/2019-12/09/2019
Price:
Expected contribution for this event is SG$76++ per person for a three-course set lunch menu (excluding beverages), to be settled by PayLah! Or PayNow after the event.
Contact:
Joanna Ng, BA 1998 & MBA 2004
+65-9171-5327


Join us for an intimate lunch gathering with Joel Simkhai. Joel is currently based in Miami Beach, Florida, and will be coming to Singapore for 36 hours only!

Joel Simkhai, founder and former CEO of Grindr, was born in Tel Aviv, Israel and immigrated to New York City when he was three years old. Simkhai graduated from Tufts University with a degree in international relations and economics. He began his career in finance and eventually landed at a start-up company. Gaining this experience, he noticed a void in the tech industry that connected the LGBTQ community, specifically gay men in a modern way.

Simkhai relocated to Los Angeles and began building the company for two years in his living room. In 2009, his location-based mobile app for gay men launched. By installing geo-location capabilities, Grindr users are able to find and connect with men within a close proximity through their mobile device. Today, Simkhai’s legacy company has developed into a full-fledged lifestyle platform for the global LGBTQ community with over two million daily active users at any given time, and ' Grindr for Equality' works toward a world that is safe, just, and inclusive for people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. In 2016, Grindr was ranked No. 10 in Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies in Social Media for promoting LGBTQ tolerance worldwide. Simkhai sold a 60% stake of Grindr in 2016, and in January, 2018 he sold the remaining 40% to Chinese tech company, Kunlun.

Immediately following the sale, Joel moved to beautiful Miami Beach, Florida where he continues to plan his next move in helping to create equality and safe spaces for the LGBTQ community worldwide. When he is not in Miami, he spends his time traveling the world and immersing himself in as many cultures as he can, helping him to understand the needs of communities across the globe.

Event Activities

Small Group Lunch with Joel Simkhai, Founder of Grindr, Dec 12th
Thursday, December 12, 2019 @ 12:00 PM

Event Links

Event 31595